We are committed to developing and supporting education that fosters innovative, high-quality, independent and promotional medical education for healthcare professionals and patients that narrows unmet medical needs, maintains clinical excellence, and measurably improves health outcomes in areas of interest to Verséa. Independent medical education falls under our medical education grants department. Promotional medical education is developed by Verséa and is evidence-based education sourced from the medical and scientific literature.
Medical Education Grants
A Verséa medical education grant is designed to support independent medical education for healthcare providers and patients that may translate to better management of disease and improvement in patient safety and population health. “Independent” means that the projects funded by Verséa are the full responsibility of the grant recipient organization. Verséa has no influence over any aspect of the projects and only asks for reports about the results and the impact of the projects in order to share them publicly. Projects that will be considered will fall under the following areas:
- Endocannabinoid system
- Emerging cannabinoid-based therapies
- Understanding current patient utilization of cannabis (hemp-derived) and concerns
- Pharmacology of cannabinoids
- Differentiating cannabis species and varieties
If your organization is interested in submitting an educational grant contact us and we will notify you when we have an RFP available.
Third-Party Accredited CME
The Endocannabinoid System was only discovered recently, resulting in many medical professionals seeking education around the exciting new science. Verséa has partnered to advance the understanding of cannabinoid health and wellness, with science-based education and communication programs that frame and elevate the cannabinoid conversation and increase understanding of ECS-related medical conditions.
The Endocannabinoid Medicine Certification program is a comprehensive remote learning system for physicians in every state, with exam-based completion resulting in the award of 12 AMA PRA Category 1 continuing medical education credits.
Click here to have information about this program emailed to you.
The following are references sourced from various medical databases that provide independent assessments and information related to the study of cannabinoids and other information:
Review of Cannabidiol
- Who.int. (2018). CANNABIDIOL (CBD) Critical Review Report. [online] Available at: https://www.who.int/medicines/access/controlled-substances/CannabidiolCriticalReview.pdf [Accessed 19 Jan. 2020].
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. 2017; https://www.nap.edu/read/24625/chapter/1 . [Accessed August 12, 2019].
Arthritis.org. 2020. CBD For Arthritis Pain: What You Should Know. [online] Available at: https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/managing-pain/pain-relief-solutions/cbd-for-arthritis-pain?_ga=2.256375308.661050779.1572287439-530917644.1572287439 [Accessed 28 March 2020].
Patient Attitudes and Use
- Moeller-Bertram T. et al. AAPM 2019 ANNUAL MEETING LATE-BREAKING ABSTRACTS, Pain Medicine, Volume 20, Issue 3, 1 March 2019, Pages e1–e7
Current Market Place Considerations and Concerns
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2020. What To Know About Products Containing Cannabis And CBD. [online] Available at: https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/what-you-need-know-and-what-were-working-find-out-about-products-containing-cannabis-or-cannabis [Accessed 28 March 2020].
- Journal of the American Medical Association, 2017. DOI: 10.1001/jama.2017.11909
The Endocannabinoid System, Mechanisms, Pharmacology and Science
- Backes, M. and Weil, A., 2017. Cannabis Pharmacy. New York: Running Press Book Publishers.
- Zou S, Kumar U. Cannabinoid receptors and the endocannabinoid system: signaling and function in the central nervous system. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(3).
- Chanda D, Neumann D, Glatz JFC. The endocannabinoid system: overview of an emerging multi-faceted therapeutic target. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2019;140:51-56.
- Lu Y, Anderson HD. Cannabinoid signaling in health and disease. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2017;95(4):311-327.
- Lu HC, Mackie K. An introduction to the endogenous cannabinoid system. Biol Psychiatry. 2016;79(7):516-525.
- Pertwee RG. Targeting the endocannabinoid system with cannabinoid receptor agonists: pharmacological strategies and therapeutic possibilities. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2012;367(1607):3353-3363.
- Howlett AC, Abood ME. CB1 and CB2 receptor pharmacology. Adv Pharmacol. 2017;80:169-206.
- Pertwee RG, ed. Endocannabinoids. In: The Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology. Vol 231. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing; 2015.
- Martin Gimenez VM, Noriega SE, Kassuha DE, Fuentes LB, Manucha W. Anandamide and endocannabinoid system: an attractive therapeutic approach for cardiovascular disease. Ther Adv Cardiovasc Dis. 2018;12(7):177-190.
- Alfulaij N, Meiners F, Michalek J, Small-Howard AL, Turner HC, Stokes AJ. Cannabinoids, the heart of the matter. J Am Heart Assoc. 2018;7(14).
- Shrestha N, Cuffe JSM, Hutchinson DS, et al. Peripheral modulation of the endocannabinoid system in metabolic disease. Drug Discov Today. 2018;23(3):592-604.
- Giacoppo S, Mandolino G, Galuppo M, Bramanti P, Mazzon E. Cannabinoids: new promising agents in the treatment of neurological diseases. Molecules. 2014;19(11):18781-18816.
- Muralidhar Reddy, P., Maurya, N. & Velmurugan, B.K. Medicinal Use of Synthetic Cannabinoids—a Mini Review. Curr Pharmacol Rep 5, 1–13 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40495-018-0165-y
- ncsl.org. 2020. State Industrial Hemp Statutes. [online] Available at: https://www.ncsl.org/research/agriculture-and-rural-development/state-industrial-hemp-statutes.aspx [Accessed 25 March 2020].
- Aizpurua-Olaizola O, Soydaner U, Öztürk E, Schibano D, Simsir Y, Navarro P, Etxebarria N, Usobiaga A (February 2016). Evolution of the Cannabinoid and Terpene Content during the Growth of Cannabis sativa Plants from Different Chemotypes. Journal of Natural Products. 79 (2): 324–31. doi:10.1021/acs.jnatprod.5b00949. PMID 26836472.
- Brigida AL, Schultz S, Cascone M, Antonucci N, Siniscalco D. Endocannabinod signal dysregulation in autism spectrum disorders: a correlation link between inflammatory state and neuro-immune alterations. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(7).
- Katona L, Freund TF. Endocannabinoid signaling as a synaptic circuit breaker in neurological disease. Nat. Med. 2008;14:923–930. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Lu, H. C., & Mackie, K. (2016). An Introduction to the Endogenous Cannabinoid System. Biological Psychiatry, 79(7), 516–525. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsych.2015.07.028
- Song, B., 2018. U.S. Total CBD Market By Sector (In Millions). [online] Newfrontierdata.com. Available at: https://newfrontierdata.com/cannabis-insights/u-s-total-cbd-market-sector-millions [Accessed 26 March 2020].
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2020. Table Of Substrates, Inhibitors And Inducers. [online] Available at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-interactions-labeling/drug-development-and-drug-interactions-table-substrates-inhibitors-and-inducers [Accessed 26 March 2020].